The launch of the Climate Emergency Conservation Area Toolkit
6 December 2022
The Climate Emergency Conservation Area Toolkit provides updated guidance about retrofitting buildings in conservation areas, by looking in detail at roof extensions, rear projections, solar panels, windows, external walls and shopfronts. A detailed example, of the Cross Street conservation area in Islington, shows how it can be applied.
UK housing, including that within conservation areas, will need retrofitting to achieve climate mitigation and adaptation. The Climate Emergency Retrofit Guide of the Low Energy Transformation Initiative (LETI) estimates that heritage or architectural constraints involve 25% of all UK homes. It focusses on retrofitting the 75% of homes that are not so constrained. The Climate Emergency Conservation Area Toolkit looks at how to retrofit the remaining 25%. We urge politicians and policymakers to use it in facilitating and accelerating the decarbonisation of the UK housing stock. Now issued by the Architects Climate Action Network (ACAN) it is available to download here.